Mutual Release Of All Claims And Settlement AgreementArmstrong 1
1. This Mutual Release of All Claims and Settlement Agreement is made between Church of Scientology International (hereinafter "CSI") and Gerald Armstrong, (hereinafter "Plaintiff") Cross-Complainant in Gerald Armstrong v. Church of Scientology of California, Los Angeles Superior Court, Case No. 420 153. By this Agreement, Plaintiff hereby specifically waives and releases all claims he has or may have from the beginning of time to and including this date, including all causes of action of every kind and nature, known or unknown for acts and/or omissions against the officers, agents, representatives, employees, volunteers, directors, successors, assigns and legal counsel of CSI as well as the Church of Scientology of California, its officers, agents, representatives, employees, volunteers, directors, successors, assigns and legal counsel; Religious Technology Center, its officers, agents, representatives, employees, legal counsel; volunteers, directors, successors, assigns and all Scientology and Scientology affiliated organizations and entities and their officers, agents, representatives, employees, volunteers, directors, successors, assigns and legal counsel; Author Services, Inc., its officers, agents, representatives, employees, volunteers, directors, successors, assigns and legal counsel; L. Ron Hubbard, his heirs, beneficiaries, Estate and its executor; Author's Family Trust, its beneficiaries and its trustee; and Mary Sue Hubbard, (all hereinafter collectively referred to as the
"Releasees"). The parties to this Agreement hereby agree as follows:
2. It is understood that this settlement is a compromise of doubtful and disputed claims, and that any payment is not to be construed, and is not intended, as an admission of liability on the part of any party to this Agreement, specifically, the Releasees, by whom liability has been and continues to be expressly denied. In executing this settlement Agreement, Plaintiff acknowledges that he has released the organizations, individuals and entities listed in the above paragraph, in addition to those defendants actually named in the above lawsuit, because among other reasons, they are third party beneficiaries of this Agreement.
3. Plaintiff has received payment of a certain monetary sum which is a portion of a total sum of money paid to his attorney, Michael J. Flynn. The total sum paid to Mr. Flynn is to settle all of the claims of Mr. Flynn's clients. Plaintiff's portion of said sum has been mutually agreed upon by Plaintiff and Michael J. Flynn. Plaintiff's signature below this paragraph acknowledges that Plaintiff is completely satisfied with the monetary consideration negotiated with and received by Michael J. Flynn. Plaintiff acknowledges that there has been a block settlement between Plaintiff's attorney, Michael J. Flynn, and the Church of Scientology and Churches and entities related to the Church of Scientology,concerning all of Mr. Flynn's clients who were in litigation with any Church of Scientology or related entity. Plaintiff has received a portion of this block
[Signed] G. Armstrong
Signature line for Gerald Armstrong
4. For and in consideration of the above described consideration, the mutual covenants, conditions and release contained herein, Plaintiff does hereby release, acquit and forever discharge, for himself, his heirs, successors, executors, administrators and assigns, the Releasees, including Church of Scientology of California, Church of Scientology International, Religious Technology Center, all Scientology and Scientology affiliated organizations and entities, Author Services, Inc. (and for each organization or entity, its officers, agents, representatives, employees, volunteers, directors, successors, assigns and legal counsel); L. Ron Hubbard, his heirs, beneficiaries, Estate and its executor; Author's Family Trust, its beneficiaries and trustee; and Mary Sue Hubbard, and each of them, of and from any and all claims, including, but not limited to, any claims or causes of action entitled Gerald Armstrong v.Church of Scientology of California, Los Angeles Superior Court, Case No. 420 153 and all demands, damages, actions and causes of actions of every kind and nature, known or unknown,
A. It is expressly understood by Plaintiff that this release and all of the terms thereof do not apply to the action brought by the Church of Scientology against Plaintiff for Conversion, Fraud and other causes of action, which action has already gone to trial and is presently pending before the Second District, Third Division of the California Appellate Court (Appeal No. B005912). The disposition of those claims are controlled by the provisions of the following paragraph hereinafter.
B. As of the date this settlement Agreement is executed, there is currently an appeal pending before the California Court of Appeal, Second Appellate District, Division 3, arising out of the above referenced action delineated as Appeal No. B005912. It is understood that this appeal arises out of the Church of Scientology's complaint against Plaintiff which is not settled herein. This appeal shall be maintained notwithstanding this Agreement. Plaintiff agrees to waive any rights he may have to take any further appeals from any decision eventually reached by the Court of Appeal or any rights he may have to oppose (by responding brief or any other means) any further appeals taken by the Church of
5. For and in consideration of the mutual covenants, conditions and release contained herein, and Plaintiff dismissing with prejudice the action Gerald Armstrong v. Church of Scientology of California, Los Angeles Superior Court, Case No.420153, the Church of Scientology of California does hereby release, acquit and forever discharge for itself, successors and assigns, Gerald Armstrong, his agents, representatives, heirs, successors, assigns, legal counsel and estate and each of them, of and from any and all claims,causes of action, demands, damages and actions of every kind and nature, known or unknown, for or because of any act or omission allegedly done by Gerald Armstrong from the beginning of time to and including the date hereof.
6. In executing this Agreement, the parties hereto, and each of them, agree to and do hereby waive and relinquish all rights and benefits afforded under the provisions of Section 1542 of the Civil Code of the State of California, which provides as follows:
"A general release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in his favor at the time of executing the release, which if known by him must have materially affected his settlement with the debtor."
B. Plaintiff has been fully advised and understands that the alleged injuries sustained by him are of such character that the full extent and type of injuries may not be known at the date hereof, and it is further understood that said alleged injuries, whether known or unknown at the date hereof, might possibly become progressively worse and that as a result, further damages may be sustained by Plaintiff; nevertheless, Plaintiff desires by this document to forever and fully release the Releasees. Plaintiff understands that by the execution of this release no further claims arising out of his experience with, or actions by, the Releasees, from the beginning of time to and including the date hereof, which may now exist or which may exist in the future may ever be asserted by him or on his behalf, against the Releasees.
C. Plaintiff agrees to assume responsibility for the payment of any attorney fee, lien or liens, imposed against him past, present, or future, known or unknown, by any person, firm, corporation or governmental entity or agency as a result of, or growing out of any of the matters referred to in this release. Plaintiff further agrees to hold harmless the parties herein released, and each of them, of and from any liability arising therefrom.
similar form, any writing or to broadcast or to assist another to create, write, film or video tape or audio tape any show, program or movie, or to grant interviews or discuss with others, concerning their experiences with the Church of Scientology, or concerning their personal or indirectly acquired knowledge or information concerning the Church of Scientology, L. Ron Hubbard or any of the organizations, individuals and entities listed in Paragraph 1 above. Plaintiff further agrees that he will maintain strict confidentiality and silence with respect to his experiences with the Church of Scientology and any knowledge or information he may have concerning the Church of Scientology, L. Ron Hubbard, or any of the organizations, individuals and entities listed in Paragraph 1 above. Plaintiff expressly understands that the non-disclosure provisions of this subparagraph shall apply, inter alia, but not be limited, to the contents or substance of his complaint on file in the action referred to in Paragraph 1 hereinabove or any documents as defined in Appendix "A" to this Agreement, including but not limited to any tapes, films, photographs, recastings, variations or copies of any such materials which concern or relate to the religion of Scientology, L. Ron Hubbard, or any of the organizations, individuals, or entities listed in Paragraph 1 above. The attorneys for Plaintiff, subject to the ethical limitations restraining them as promulgated by the state or federal regulatory associations or agencies, agree not to disclose any of the terms and conditions of the settlement negotiations, amount of the
E. With exception to the items specified in Paragraph 7(L), Plaintiff agrees to return to the Church of Scientology International at the time of the consummation of this Agreement, all materials in his possession, custody or control (or within the possession, custody or control of his attorney, as well as third parties who are in possession of the described documents), of any nature, including originals and all copies or summaries of documents defined in Appendix "A" to this Agreement, including but not limited to any tapes, computer disks, films, photographs, recastings, variations or copies of any such materials which concern or relate to the religion of Scientology, L. Ron Hubbard or any of the organizations, individuals or entities listed in Paragraph 1 above, all evidence of any nature, including evidence obtained from the named defendants through discovery, acquired for the purposes of this lawsuit or any lawsuit, or acquired for any other purpose
(a) All originals and copies of the manuscript for the work "Excalibur" written by L. Ron Hubbard;
(b) All originals and copies of documents commonly known as the "Affirmations" written by L. Ron Hubbard; and
(c) All documents and other items surrendered to the Court by Plaintiff and his attorneys pursuant to Judge Cole's orders of August 24, 1982 and September 4, 1982 and all documents and other items taken by the Plaintiff from either the Church of Scientology or Omar Garrison. This includes all documents and items entered into evidence or marked for identification in Church of Scientology of California v.Gerald Armstrong, Case No. C 420 153. Plaintiff and his attorney will execute a Joint Stipulation or such other documents as are necessary to obtain these documents from the court. In the event any documents or other items are no longer in the custody or control of the Los Angeles Superior Court, Plaintiff and his counsel will assist the Church in recovering these documents as quickly as possible, including but not limited to those tapes and other documents now in the possession of the United States District Court in the case of United States v. Zolin, Case No. CV
To the extent that Plaintiff does not possess or control documents within categories A-C above, Plaintiff recognizes his continuing duty to return to CSI any and all documents that fall within categories A-C above which do in the future come into his possession or control.
F. Plaintiff agrees that he will never again seek or obtain spiritual counselling or training or any other service from any Church of Scientology, Scientologist, Dianetics or Scientology auditor, Scientology minister, Mission of Scientology, Scientology organization or Scientology affiliated organization.
G. Plaintiff agrees that he will not voluntarily assist or cooperate with any person adverse to Scientology in any proceeding against any of the Scientology organizations, individuals, or entities listed in Paragraph 1 above. Plaintiff also agrees that he will not cooperate in any manner with any organizations aligned against Scientology.
H. Plaintiff agrees not to testify or otherwise participate in any other judicial, administrative or legislative proceeding adverse to Scientology or any of the Scientology Churches, individuals or entities listed in Paragraph 1 above unless compelled to do so by lawful subpoena or other lawful process. Plaintiff shall not make
I. The parties hereto agree that in the event of any future litigation between Plaintiff and any of the organizations, individuals or entities listed in Paragraph 1 above, that any past action or activity, either alleged in this lawsuit or activity similar in fact to the evidence that was developed during the course of this lawsuit, will not be used by either party against the other in any future litigation. In other words, the "slate" is wiped clean concerning past actions by any party.
J. It is expressly understood and agreed by Plaintiff that any dispute between Plaintiff and his counsel as to the proper division of the sum paid to Plaintiff by his attorney of record is between Plaintiff and his attorney of record and shall in no way affect the validity of this Mutual Release of All Claims and Settlement Agreement.
K. Plaintiff hereby acknowledges and affirms that he is not under the influence of any drug, narcotic, alcohol or other mind-influencing substance, condition or ailment such that his ability to fully understand the meaning of this Agreement and the significance thereof is adversely affected.
L. Notwithstanding the provisions of Paragraph 7(E) above, Plaintiff shall be entitled to retain any artwork created by him which concerns or relates to the religion of Scientology, L. Ron Hubbard or any of the organizations, individuals or entities listed in Paragraph 1 above provided that such artwork never be disclosed either directly or indirectly, to anyone. In the event of a disclosure in breach of this Paragraph 7(L), Plaintiff shall be subject to the liquidated damages and constructive trust provisions of Paragraph 7(D) for each such breach.
8. Plaintiff further agrees that he waives and relinquishes any right or claim arising out of the conduct of any defendant in this case to date, including any of the organizations, individuals or entities as set forth in Paragraph 1 above, and the named defendants waive and relinquish any right or claim arising out of the conduct of Plaintiff to date.
9. This Mutual Release of All Claims and Settlement Agreement contains the entire agreement between the parties hereto, and the terms of this Agreement are contractual and not a mere recital. This Agreement may be amended only by written instrument executed by Plaintiff and CSI. The parties hereto have carefully read and understand the contents of this Mutual Release of All Claims and Settlement Agreement and sign the same of their own free will, and it is the intention of the parties to be legally bound hereby. No other prior or contemporaneous agreements, oral or written, respecting such matters, which are not specifically
10. Plaintiff agrees that he will not assist or advise anyone, including individuals, partnerships, associations, corporations, or governmental agencies contemplating any claim or engaged in litigation or involved in or contemplating any activity adverse to the interests of any entity or class of persons listed above in Paragraph 1 of this Agreement.
A. That all parties enter into this Agreement freely, voluntarily, knowingly and willingly, without any threats, intimidation or pressure of any kind whatsoever and voluntarily execute this Agreement of their own free will;
B. That all parties have conducted sufficient deliberation and investigation, either personally or through other sources of their own choosing, and have obtained advice of counsel regarding the terms and conditions set forth herein, so that they may intelligently exercise their own judgment in deciding whether or not to execute this Agreement: and
C. That all parties have carefully read this Agreement and understand the contents thereof and that each reference in this Agreement to any party includes successors, assigns, principals, agents and employees thereof.
15. This Agreement shall not be construed against the party preparing it, but shall be construed as if both parties prepared this Agreement. This Agreement shall be construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of California.
18. (A) Each party warrants that they have received independent legal advice from their attorneys with respect to the advisability of making the settlement provided for herein and in executing this Agreement.
(D) The parties hereto and their respective attorneys each agree not to disclose the contents of this executed Agreement. Nothing herein shall be construed to prevent any party hereto or his respective attorney from stating that this civil action has been settled in its entirety.
19. Plaintiff has been fully advised by his counsel as to the contents of this document and each provision hereof. Plaintiff hereby authorizes and directs his counsel to dismiss with prejudice his claims now pending in the action entitled Gerald Armstrong v. Church of Scientology of California, Los Angeles Superior Court, Case No. 420 153.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties hereto have executed this Agreement, on the date opposite their names.
|Dated: December 6, 1986||[Signed] GERALD ARMSTRONG
[Signed] Jo-Ann A. Richardson
[Signed] Michael Sutter
|Dated: 12/6/86|| APPROVED AS TO FORM AND CONTENT:
[Signed] Michael J. Flynn
Attorney for GERALD ARMSTRONG
|Dated: December 11, 1986|| [Signed] Heber C. Jentzsch
for CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY INTERNATIONAL
1. As used herein, the term "document" or " documents" include but are not limited to all originals, file copies and copies not identical to the original, no matter how prepared, of all writings, papers, notes, records, books and other tangible things including, by way of example and not of limitation, the following:
a. Memoranda, notes, calendars, appointment books, shorthand or stenographer's notebooks, correspondence, letters and telegrams, whether received, sent, filed or maintained internally;
b. Drafts and notes, whether typed, penciled or otherwise; whether or not used;
c. Minutes, reports and summaries of meetings;
d. Contracts, agreements, understandings, commitments, proposals and other business dealings;
e. Recordings, transcriptions and memoranda or notes made of any telephone or face-to-face oral conversations between or among persons;
f. Dictated tapes or other sound recordings;
g. Computer printouts or reports and the applicable program or programs therefor;
h. Tapes, cards or any other means by which data are stored or preserved electrically, electronically, magnetically or mechanically, and the applicable program or program therefor (from which plaintiff may reproduce or cause to be reproduced such data in written form);
i. Pictures, drawings, photographs, charts or other graphic representations;
j. Checks, bills, notes, receipts, or other evidence of payment:
k: Ledgers, journals, financial statements, accounting records, operating statements, balance sheets and statements of account.