§  What's New  ||  Search   ||  Legal Archive  ||  Wog Media  ||  Cult Media  ||  CoW ® ||  Writings  ||  Fun  ||  Disclaimer  ||  Contact  §





I, Gerald Armstrong, declare:

1. I was a member of the Sea Organization of Scientology

from 1971 through 1981. During much of that time, I worked

directly for L. Ron Hubbard in a variety of positions.

2. I am familiar with the orders, policies and practices

of L. Ron Hubbard including those concerned with hiding

him physically to thwart attempts to have him served with

summonses or subpoenas. Scientology organizations and

Scientologists were used by Hubbard to achieve his conceal-

ment and the frustration of due process.

3. Hubbard had been at a secret location in Hemet

in 1979 and early 1980. The exact location was known to

only a few Scientologists. In or about March of 1980, he

fled from that location and went into even deeper hiding,

taking with him two Scientologists, Pat and Anne Broeker.

4. I was assigned at the same time to a "mission",

the purpose of which was to resolve Hubbard's legal pro-

blems and to establish a series of buffer corporations

which would allow him to retain control of Scientology

organizations without being legally responsible for the

organization's tortious or criminal acts. I learned at

the start of this mission from Hubbard's communications

that he fled because of his fear of being subpoenaed as



a witness in the then pending IRS tax case against Scientology

in which inurement of the organization's funds to Hubbard

was an issue, and that he would be served in other civil

cases where he had been or would be named as a defendant.

He also expressed a concern because an Oregon case, Christofferson

v. Scientology, had resulted in a 2.1 million dollar judgment.

All of these concerns were expressed in correspondence Hubbard

sent to the mission I had been appointed to, and I saw this

correspondence due to my duties in this mission. The cor-

respondence had been sent to the mission at least a month

before any attorneys were involved. I was also briefed

extensively at the start of the mission on these matters,

including Hubbard's fear of being served in the various

cases then known about, by Laurel Sullivan, Hubbard's re-

presentative and personal public relations officer.

5. Throughout 1980 and 1981, I worked in the Personal

Public Relations Office of L.Ron Hubbard and I was familiar

with the shore story on where Hubbard was and what he was

doing, as well as the truth of the matter. For "legal"

reasons, so that service of Hubbard could not be effectuated

by litigants using organization communication channels,

we all were told to state and did state that we had no means

of communicating to Hubbard. This was a lie because we

all knew, at my level in the organization, that communications



could and did go to Hubbard via David Miscavige, a top

messenger in Hubbard's messenger unit of Scientology. I

received an order from Hubbard in mid-1980 to send him a

copy of a particular manuscript and I was able to do so

using Scientology organization communication channels.

6. The shore story was that Hubbard had gone into

seclusion to research and write novels. But each of us

knew that he was in hiding because of the several lawsuits

in which he had been named as a defendant. In 1981,

Laurel Sullivan, Hubbard's Senior Personal Public Relations

Officer, briefed the Guardian's Office (GO) staff in Los

Angeles, and laid out very clearly that Hubbard was hiding

because of his involvement in all the lawsuits and the

GO's failure to resolve his legal problems including having

him removed as a defendant in the various cases. I attended

this briefing which was recorded by Ms. Sullivan and the

GO. No attorneys were present and Ms. Sullivan did not

conduct this meeting on the advice of attorneys.

7. In mid-1981 another "legal mission" was initiated

utilizing personnel from Hubbard's messenger organization.

An offshoot from this mission was "Mission All Clear", the

purpose of which was to remedy all Hubbard's legal pro-

blems so it would be "all clear" for Hubbard to come out



of hiding. This "legal" mission in the various Scientology

organizations is still ongoing.

8. Hubbard's policies and practices, to avoid legal

process have formed a pattern going back many years. In

December 1972, I knew that Hubbard had left the ship "Apollo,"

then in Portugal, and gone into hiding in the U.S. to avoid

extradition to France in a fraud case then pending. In

1976, I was present in Dunedin, Florida, when Hubbard fled

to avoid being served in cases being brought against the

organization in Florida. In this instance, Hubbard had

one of his personal staff, Joyce Popham, create the illusion

that he was still in the area by forging his signature and

handwriting on memos going to staff in the nearby Scientology

organizations. In 1977, Hubbard fled from the Scientology

base in LaQuinta, California, because of the fear that he

might be named in the federal criminal case in which his

wife, Mary Sue Hubbard, and 10 others were convicted of

obstruction of justice. When Hubbard returned to LaQuinta,

after learning from the organization legal personnel that

he would not be charged in the federal case, he set up a

system of guards and a radio alert so he could escape if

any government agent, marshal, sheriff or process server

arrived at the property. I was posted as a guard during



that period and was instructed to tell anyone who arrived

and asked about Hubbard that he was not on the property.

A getaway car was kept nearby for Hubbard's use at all times.

Each person on the base was briefed and drilled to lie

about Hubbard's presence, to refuse and kick away any papers

being served by officials or process servers, and to alert

others on the base so Hubbard could escape.

9. In December 1975 through May 1976, I worked in

Hubbard's personal communications unit, holding the post

of Deputy LRH External Communications Aide, at Dunedin,

Florida. During that time, I saw Hubbard's Program, "Code

Name: Power", attached hereto as Exhibit [A]. I also

saw various compliance reports and other correspondence

concerning "Power" including "Project: Early Warning System"

written by Deputy Guardian for the U.S., Henning Heldt,

attached hereto as Exhibit [B]. These documents show Hubbard's

order to the Guardian Office to set up a warning system

so he could avoid service of process, and the GO's massive

operation to comply with that order.

Signed this 2nd day of October, 1985, under the pains

and penalties of perjury.

Gerald Armstrong


Exhibit [A]
Program LRH Security Code Name: Power

Exhibit [B]
Project Early Warning System

§  What's New  ||  Search   ||  Legal Archive  ||  Wog Media  ||  Cult Media  ||  CoW ® ||  Writings  ||  Fun  ||  Disclaimer  ||  Contact  §