§  What's New  ||  Search   ||  Legal Archive  ||  Wog Media  ||  Cult Media  ||  CoW ® ||  Writings  ||  Fun  ||  Disclaimer  ||  Contact  §





County of Los Angeles
)    ss.



I, Gerry Armstrong, hereby state under the pains

and penalties of perjury that I have personal knowledge

and/or information and belief as to the following:


1. In early 1976 I was in charge of L. Ron Hubbard's

Personal Communications Unit in a condominium called King

Arthur's Court in Dunedin, Florida. L. Ron Hubbard was at that

time in Washington, D.C., with a small personal staff,

having fled from Florida in February or March 1976 because it

was feared that there might be an attempt to serve him with

a lawsuit in Florida. My job at Dunedin entailed, among other

duties, relaying mail and telexes between Mr. Hubbard in Wash-

ington D.C. and various Scientology organizations in Florida,

California and elsewhere.



2. In May of 1976, I received orders from Michael

Douglas, my senior and Mr. Hubbard's personal communications

expert who was with him in Washington, D.C., to set up a

permanent residence in southern California for Hubbard.

I was briefed at that time and sent on a mission to set up

a staging area in southern California for the permanent resi-

dence in California. In late May 1976, I drove with 3

other people, Gary Reisdorf, then my assistant, and Clarisse

Barnett and Jill Goodman, CMO members, to Los Angeles, where

we met with Duke Snyder, than Deputy Guardian US, the second

in command of the US Guardian's Office.


3. I learned from Mr. Snyder that he had already

arranged the "staging area" for Mr. Hubbard in an apartment

complex in Culver City, California and was working on final-

izing a permanent residence which Mr. Hubbard had ordered.

I was taken by Mr. Snyder to the Culver City locations which

was code-named by the GO and Mr. Hubbard's personal staff,

"Astra." Astra consisted of three apartment units in the

complex. I set up a telex machine with telephone phonetic

coupler for Mr. Hubbard's telex communications to Scientology

organizations, and I established mail and freight lines to and



from Mr. Hubbard via the US Guardian's Office communications bureau.


4. In early June of 1976, Mr. Hubbard's wife,

Mary Sue Hubbard, then Controller of the Guardian's Office,

and her personal staff arrived at Astra and set up residence

and operations. A few days later Mr. Hubbard arrived with

the staff which had been with him in Washington, D.C., and

likewise set up residence and operations at Astra. During

this period I learned the specifics of Mr. Hubbard's plan

or residency following the Astra "staging area." I saw

several letters from Mr. Snyder to Mr. Hubbard, plus maps

and photographs, all concerning a home and property to be

purchased for Mr. Hubbard in La Quinta, California. Mr.

Hubbard had several requirements for the property, and I was

involved in gathering information of some of these, including

the availability of Cable television at the property.


5. In late 1976, Mr. Hubbard moved from Astra to

the La Quinta property and lived there until 1979. There

were three adjacent properties in La Quinta purchased in

1976 for Mr. Hubbard, his family and personal staff. These

were named "Olives," "Palms," and "Reuffel Ranch" (called

"Rifle"). The Olives property was originally designated as

Mr. Hubbard's residence but he did not like it and chose



"Rifle" property as his and his wife's residence.


6. In August 1977, shortly after the FBI raid on

the Guardian's Office premises in Los Angeles and Washing-

ton, D.C., and because he feared that he might be implicated

in Guardian's Office operations and therefore indicted in the

FBI's Federal case, Mr. Hubbard temporarily fled from the

Rifle property at La Quinta with three CMO personnel, Pat

Broeker, Claire Rossouw and Diana Voegeding. He lived from

August 1977 to December 1977 in hiding in Sparks, Nevada,

but continued to communicate with CMO at the La Quinta pro-

perties during that period. I have personally seen letters

from Mr. Hubbard during this period to persons at the La Quinta

properties stating that he would be returning to his home in

La Quinta as soon as it was safe to do so, and issuing orders,

specifically to do with establishing and training a film crew

at La Quinta while he was away.


7. While Mr. Hubbard was in Sparks, Nevada, Mrs.

Hubbard resided at the "Rifle" property in La Quinta. At the

end of December 1977, it was determined that Mrs. Hubbard

would be indicted in the Federal criminal case, and Mr. Hub-

bard would not. Mrs. Hubbard left "Rifle" to take up resi-



dence in the Los Angeles area and Mr. Hubbard moved back to

Rifle from Nevada.


8. During all of 1978, Mr. Hubbard resided at

the "Rifle" property in La Quinta. I observed him almost

daily during this period and many times had guard duty at

his residence. A guard was always on duty, twenty-four hours

a day, at his residence, and during times when his wife visited

or stayed at the Rifle property there were at least two

guards on duty. The reason for this doubling of the guards

was that it was feared by Mr. Hubbard that Mrs. Hubbard

might be tailed by Federal agents to Mr. Hubbard's residence

in La Quinta.


9. Each guard on duty patrolled the perimeter

of Mr. Hubbard's property and was instructed to stop any-

one who came onto the property. The guard carried a two-way

radio which transmitted an alarm signal to several other loca-

tions on the La Quinta properties, alerting several people of

a raid threat or someone attempting to serve papers on Mr.

Hubbard. A car was kept stationed beside Mr. Hubbard's

Rifle residence which was designated as a "get-away car,"

and which was never used for any other purpose.



10. Each person at the La Quinta base was briefed

and drilled in a "cover story" designed to " protect" and

cover up Mr. Hubbard's residing on the property. Each of

us did drills on how to "handle" a process server, including

denying that we knew Mr. Hubbard or that he lived on the pro-

perty. We were all instructed and drilled to say that the

property was owned by an attorney, Norton Karno, and we were

all Mr. Karno's friends. In fact, none of us had ever met

Mr. Karno, and he was Mr. Hubbard's tax attorney at the time.


11. In the fall of 1973, Mr. Hubbard ordered a

number of renovations to his home at "Rifle" in La Quinta

and I participated in or supervised most of these renovations.

Ordered by Mr. Hubbard, and carried out by me or personnel in

my charge were: removal of all fiberglass insulation on

ducting and replacement with non-fibrous material, complete

cleaning of all ducting in the house, tiling his bedroom and

office spaces, carpeting his wife's bedroom and office space

and the living room, cleaning of all air conditioner and

evaporative cooler units and ducting, painting of interior

of complete house, cleaning the complete house, setting up

his library, setting up and inventorying his personal be-

longings stored on the Rifle and Olives property which con-



sisted of about a thousand boxes or equivalent large items

such as furniture.


12. In late 1978, because it was considered that

the cover at La Quinta was "blown," and because he felt

in danger of being served with process, Mr. Hubbard decided

to acquire another property which would be safe for him to

reside and carry on his operations. He approved for purchase

a 500-acre golf course and resort complex at Gilman Hotsprings

near Hemet, California and about forty miles west of the

La Quinta properties. In December 1978, immediately following

the project to renovate Mr. Hubbard's residence at La Quinta,

I, and about twenty other personnel, were transferred to

Gilman Hotsprings to ready a house for Mr. Hubbard's resi-



13. The various steps to be taken in the renovation

of the house at Gilman Hotsprings for Mr. Hubbard were all

ordered by him and the funds for these were all approved

by him. The renovation project included: the complete

stripping of attic insulation and cleaning of the attic;

re-wiring of the complete house; tiling of Mr. Hubbard's

bedroom; carpeting of Mrs. Hubbard's bedroom and the living

room, dining room and other rooms; installation of new fix-



tures in the bathrooms according to his specifications;

fabrication of custom-made drapes from materials approved

by Mr. Hubbard' painting of the complete interior of the

house according to a color scheme and paint types ordered

by Mr. Hubbard; the installation of an air conditioner

unit approved by Mr. Hubbard; the installation of new doors

and cupboards according to orders or approval by Mr. Hubbard;

the purchase of decorations according to Mr. Hubbard's in-

structions; grounds work, including the purchases and planting

of several thousand dollars worth of trees ordered by Mr.

Hubbard; the grading and asphalting of a vehicle parking

area adjacent to the house ordered by Mr. Hubbard; the in-

stallation of a sophisticated television antenna system

approved by Mr. Hubbard; the installation of a lightning

rod approved by Mr. Hubbard; the renovation of an adjacent

building to be used as living quarters by Mr. Hubbard's

personal steward, Mr. Paco Suarez; and other project steps.


14. I was also involved in, and during much of

1979 supervised, the renovation of resort villa suites

which were designated as office spaces for Mr. Hubbard and

Mrs. Hubbard. Here, as with his house at Gilman Hotsprings,

Mr. Hubbard ordered or approved the renovations, materials

used, decor and decorations. Included in this part of the



project were: tiling of Mr. Hubbard's office; tiling of

Mr. Hubbard's music room and library; installation of new

fixtures according to Mr. Hubbard's specifications in the

bathrooms in these areas; new carpeting of Mrs. Hubbard's

office and offices for Mr. Hubbard's CMO personnel and Mrs.

Hubbard's secretary; installation of new air conditioner

units according to Mr. Hubbard's approval; installation of

a high quality radio antenna for his music room according

to his approval; the fabrication of special throw rugs

according to his orders; contracting for two wall hung tap-

estries to be woven according to his orders; fabrication of

special sound-insulating drapes according to his orders;

construction of doorways between the various villa units

in his office spaces according to his orders; the purchase

and installation of a refrigerator in one of the office spaces

for his use; and other steps.


15. During all of 1979 and until March 1980, Mr.

Hubbard lived, along with about ten personal staff, in an

apartment complex in Hemet about five miles from the Gilman

Hotsprings property. He did not move into the house at

Gilman Hotsprings because early in 1979 its renovation was



not complete and later it was considered unsafe for him

to live on the property, its cover having been "blown" in

Riverside, California and Florida newspapers.


16. Mr. Hubbard came to the Gilman Hotsprings

property several times in 1979, however, each time traveling

in the back of a panel van. I was then in charge of Mr. Hub-

bard's personal household unit at Gilman Hotsprings and had

to ensure that his van got onto the property without being

followed or seen, even by other staff at the property.

Mr. Hubbard came to the property either to supervise filming

at a studio which had been built on the property or to meet

with his wife or family on the property. On such occasions,

Mrs. Hubbard also arrived secretively and I had to ensure

she was not followed or observed coming onto the property.


17. Each time Mr. Hubbard came to the property

he went to his house and had a meal which was usually cooked

by his personal chef, Sinar Parman, and served by his personal

steward, Mr. Suarez. No one else but Mr. Hubbard had use

of or access to the house, unless it was his personal staff

carrying out renovations or cleaning the house. Practically

every time Mr. Hubbard was in the house he ordered a change



or some new work. On one occasion, for example, he ordered

a serving table to be built for the dining room. On another

occasion he ordered special dacron filter material to be

taped over each window in the house. And on one occasion

he smelled mildew on my LRH renovations unit and I had to

tear out bathroom and bedroom walls, install a new shower

stall and rebuild the walls.


18. Mr. Hubbard also stored on the Gilman Hot-

springs property his personal belongings which had been moved

from the La Quinta property when that property was abandoned

and sold because it was "blown." Mr. Hubbard's personal be-

longings, consisting of furniture, bedding, art pieces, house-

hold goods, appliances, papers and writings, etc. occupied the

complete top floor of a former hotel on the Gilman Hotsprings

property. One of my juniors, Brenda Black, was responsible

for storage and inventory of these belongings. None of Mr.

Hubbard's belongings in storage could be taken out without

his express permission.


19. As well as the hotel storage space there were

several villa suites devoted to storage of Mr. Hubbard's

personal effects. One contained his personal collection of

photographs and photographic equipment. This suite was



specially climatized for the storage of these items, ac-

cording to Mr. Hubbard's instructions. Another villa suite

contained Mr. Hubbard's excess and seldom used clothing,

hung on racks or stored in trucks. Another villa suite con-

tained Mr. Hubbard's library of books.


20. Also in 1979 I was responsible for the reno-

vation of living quarters for Mr. Hubbard's children, Arthur,

Suzette and Diana and her husband at Gilman Hotsprings.

Special units were renovated for each of Mr. Hubbard's chil-

dren on the property, the work to be done and the location of

each unit being approved by Mr. Hubbard and carried out by

his personal renovations staff of which I was in charge.


21. Most of the furniture in Mr. Hubbard's house

and offices at Gilman Hotsprings was to be custom made ac-

cording to a motif worked out and orders from Mr. Hubbard.

To carry out this plan he authorized the purchase of car-

pentry tools costing several thousand dollars and the es-

tablishment of an LRH carpentry unit, with personnel and

equipment separate from the other organization units at

Gilman Hotsprings. This carpentry unit also produced special

recording equipment stands for Mr. Hubbard which were sent

to him at his Hemet location. The LRH carpentry unit also



produced custom work for Mr. Hubbard's children's living

quarters on the property.


22. In the summer of 1979, on the orders of my

senior, Kima Douglas, the head of Mr. Hubbard's personal

household unit, I became involved in a project Mr. Hubbard

had originated to build him a completely new house somewhere

near Hemet. Mr. Hubbard had had a staff member in the Gilman

Hotsprings film company music department, Barry Stein, who

was also an architect draft plans for a huge private resi-

dence. It was to be a specially built structure, all trian-

gular rooms and buildings, and all on pilings, patterned

on Mr. Hubbard's orders, after Frank Lloyd Wright's Imperial

Hotel in Tokyo, so as to be earthquake-proof. It would

have a number of buildings for personal staff, and it would

be surrounded by a high block wall with openings for gun

emplacements. I had blueprints made of the plans and obtained

some information on materials for Mr. Stein. Mainly I acted

as relay point between Mr. Stein and Mr. Hubbard when Mr.

Stein's plans went back and forth to Mr. Hubbard.


23. At one point I was assigned by Mrs. Douglas

to a mission to locate a property for Mr. Hubbard on which

he could build the house Mr. Stein had designed. There were



several criteria given by Mr. Hubbard: the property had

to be within a half hour drive of Gilman Hotsprings in Cali-

fornia; it had to be in a non-black area; it had to be in

a dust-free area; it had to be in a defensible area, i.e.,

with no higher surrounding areas from which a rifle could

shoot into the compound; and it had to be built on bedrock.

I spent about two weeks on this mission and finally located

a property which seemed to meet all of Mr. Hubbard's require-

ments. I sent a proposal to Mr. Hubbard, it was approved

and I was sent a deposit to open an escrow. Mr. Hubbard

and Mrs. Douglas visited the property I had located, which

was near Perris, California, and examined it. Mrs. Douglas

then told me not to proceed with the purchase because al-

though Mr. Hubbard was very pleased with the property he had,

at the last minute, decided to build the new house on the

Gilman Hotsprings property.


24. I then began library research and an examination

of the Gilman Hotsprings property in order to choose the best

location on which to build, since an earthquake fault ran

through the property. Also an executive on the Gilman Hot-

springs staff, Bill Robertson, who is also an engineer,

became involved, and the project passed over to him. In



late 1981, when I left Scientology, the plan was still

active. On a visit to Gilman Hotsprings in 1981, I ob-

served Mr. Stein and another staff member, Stuart Moreau,

working on Mr. Stein's plans for this house.


25. Also in 1979 and into 1980 I was in charge

of another project which was to have constructed and decorated

another office for Mr. Hubbard, this one in a movie studio

built in 1979 on the Gilman Hotsprings property. I worked

with one of my juniors at the time, Laurel Van Dyne, the

LRH Decor-In-Charge, on a proposal for the interior decora-

tion of the office which went to Mr. Hubbard and was ap-

proved by him. He also approved funds for the whole project

and I purchased most of the supplies, materials, fabric,

fixtures and appliances which were to go into this office.

As part of this project, photographs of various Scientology

movie and entertainment personalities were solicited from

them, signed by them and with messages of respect to Mr.

Hubbard. These were to be framed and were to be part of

the decor of this office.


26. In March of 1990, Mr. Hubbard fled from his

Hemet residence to another location in Southern California,



because it was again determined that his whereabouts

might be known to authorities or litigants and he would

be served a summons or subpoena. Only two people, Pat

Broeker and Annie Broeker, from his CMO unit, went with

him. The rest of his staff from Hemet returned to Gilman

Hotsprings. These people, who were called the "X" staff,

approximately ten in all, carried on a bizarre scheme to

keep their identities secret so that they could later rejoin

Mr. Hubbard when he would again set up a larger secret base.

They worked, lived and ate separately from the rest of the

Gilman Hotsprings staff, they were never visible to outsiders,

they wore disguises or hats which covered their faces, and

they traveled, even when only going between buildings on

the Gilman Hotsprings property, in a blacked-out van.


27. When Mr. Hubbard and the Broekers left Hemet,

they moved to another Southern California location. It was

known that they were in Southern California because Pat Broeker

could, and did quite often, on very little notice, show up

in the Los Angeles area to handle some business with Mr. Hub-

bard. Generally, this was financial business with Mr. Hubbard's

personal accounts staff. It was also known, among Mr. Hubbard's

personal office staff, of which I was a part, that another



CMO member, David Miscavige, who lived at Gilman Hot-

springs, was Mr. Hubbard's main contact to all the Scientology

organizations. Mr. Miscavige relayed communications to Mr.

Hubbard and the Broekers, and received Mr. Hubbard's communi-

cations and orders for implementation.


28. It is my understanding that Mr. Hubbard is

still residing in, and intends to continue to reside in,

Southern California. A mission composed of CMO members,

sent by Mr. Hubbard in 1981 to resolve his legal troubles,

was given the order by him to establish an "all clear

date." This would be the date when all the court cases in-

volving Mr. Hubbard had been won or charges against him had

been dropped and it would be safe for him to come out of

hiding and return to Gilman Hotsprings. At one point the

date set was October 1981 and this was moved up to Decem-

ber 1981. It was in anticipation of an "all clear" that

the work on Mr. Hubbard's house and offices at Gilman Hot-

springs in 1981 was ordered completed.


29. Except for a four month period in 1977, Mr.

Hubbard has resided in Southern California since June of

1976. Also, his wife has resided in Southern California



during that time and his children are all residents in

Southern California. Additionally, the people who were con-

sidered Mr. Hubbard's personal staff all reside in Southern



30. It has been the policy and practice of those

persons in senior positions in Scientology, as directed by

Mr. Hubbard to lie about his involvement with Scientology,

his control of operations and finances, and his whereabouts,

even from other Scientologists. I had personal knowledge

of an operation by the Guardian's Office to plant the false

story in the international press that Mr. Hubbard was planning

to purchase an estate in Ireland. The was done to cover up

the fact that Mr. Hubbard was planning to establish a resi-

dence in California.


31. Also in 1976, in order to hide the fact from

Scientologists and authorities in Clearwater that Mr. Hubbard

had left the area he had one of his personal staff at the

Dunedin location sign his name to despatches sent him from

Scientology staff members. This staff member, Joyce Popham,

was so proficient at forging his signature and handwriting

that she wrote messages like "very well done," "thank you



very much" and similar things in Mr. Hubbard's handwriting

back to organization staff who knew his writing. The for-

geries were never discovered. The practice of having one

of his staff sign his signature was on Mr. Hubbard's orders

and was very common. It was used to give the impression Mr.

Hubbard was someplace he wasn't or to cover up some other

activity. Staff members whom I knew personally to have signed

Mr. Hubbard's name to letters, contracts or legal documents

or in inscriptions in books, were: Aletheia Taylor, Janice

Kennedy, Laurie Jensen, Joyce Popham, Sue Anderson, Laurel



32. It has also been the policy and practice of

persons in senior positions in Scientology, as directed and

allowed by Mr. Hubbard, to originate communications in Mr.

Hubbard's name as pretending to come from Mr. Hubbard, with-

out these communications ever being shown to him. The pur-

pose of this was to create an impression that Mr. Hubbard

was doing something that he wasn't actually doing; or was

somewhere he actually was not. Persons that I knew personally

to have originated such communications were: Laurel Sullivan,

Sue Anderson, Aletheia Taylor, Pat Brice, Laurie Jensen.



33. I also knew it was the policy and practice of

Mr. Hubbard and those in senior positions in Scientology

to actually lie about Mr. Hubbard's whereabouts and activi-

ties. Mr. Hubbard stated, as part of his defense in what

is known in Scientology as the "French fraud case" in which

he was convicted of fraud, that he had never even been in

France. That was a lie. Mr. Hubbard lived for a period of

time in the late 1960's, in a villa in Marseille, France.


34. Following the FBI raid in 1977 on Scientology's

Guardian's Office premises in Los Angeles and Washington,

D.C., the people in senior positions in the CMO and the GO

ordered and had carried out a massive campaign to locate and

destroy all the evidence in every organization in the US

which showed Mr. Hubbard's control of the organizations

and their finances. I was involved in this campaign in

Clearwater, Florida, at the La Quinta property and at

Gilman Hotsprings. Hundreds of thousands of pages were

destroyed. On the La Quinta and Gilman Hotsprings properties

we were required to destroy, in addition to materials which

showed Mr. Hubbard's control of Scientology and his connection

with the Guardian's Office, any despatches or memos to and

from Mr. Hubbard which showed he lived on these properties,



intended to live there or had issued orders to do with these

properties. At Gilman Hotsprings I was required to destroy

all the memos I had received from Mr. Hubbard ordering work

to be done on his house and offices. Also I was required

to destroy any despatch or memo from anyone which mentioned

the house and office spaces as being Mr. Hubbard's. In

early 1980, when a raid by government agencies was announced

as threatened at Gilman Hotsprings, a commercial paper

shredder was rented, brought to the property and operated

day and night for over two weeks to destroy the massive

pile of evidence which linked Mr. Hubbard to Scientology

organization, Guardian's Office operations and the properties

in Southern California.


Signed under the pains and penalties of perjury

this 19th day of October, 1982.



Gerry Armstrong




§  What's New  ||  Search   ||  Legal Archive  ||  Wog Media  ||  Cult Media  ||  CoW ® ||  Writings  ||  Fun  ||  Disclaimer  ||  Contact  §